pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #7471] pcplantdb project]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #7471] pcplantdb project]
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:00:16 +0000

Aloha,

Is it possible to write our own Java program to do this sort of thing instead of buying a ccommercial product.

TouchGraph is open source.
ThinkMap (or something like that) is the commercial product that first caught Stephanie's eyes.

Well, just thought I'd suggest that some of our $10K be used to buy a Zope machine for ibiblio (a good investment for the future -
saving us more than the machine cost in long term hosting fees and maintenance costs

OTOH (is there a business manager on the list? I'll fake it...):

Per Chad's figures for johncompanies hosting plus domain reg totalling $555/yr., $10K buys just a hair over eighteen (18) years' hosting. That's a heck of a very long time in cyber-time...the WWW is barely ten (10) years old...

Since the hosting cost is a tiny fraction of our total monies per year, most all of that $10K would be available for paid work on the project for the initial development stage.
Say two years of primary/initial development - that's $1110 in hosting fees, leaving $8890 to pay for development.

Buying ibiblio a server means we spend 60-100% of our current monies right away (they said it would cost $6-$10K), leaving 40-0% ($4K - $0K) for development costs - and they own the server, we own nothing but the favor of using a bit of it.

If one assumes any further significant monies will be granted to us, hosting costs become almost a non-issue. A little bitty $2k grant would cover almost four years' hosting, etc. etc.
Meanwhile the same as above applies - of any money we get granted, the vast majority of it is available for development work and only a small fraction is needed for hosting costs.

Also, if it comes down to it, I suspect it will be much more possible to scrape together $555/yr. through individual donations, etc. (the suggested PayPal button and so on) to keep the hosting alive than to get any significant development money through those means.
Development money is going to come from $eriou$ grantor$, not from nickel-and-dime solicitations.

I'd much prefer we get paid for our work and spend a little bit on hosting than buy someone else an expensive server and get paid little or nothing for our work.

And...
I'll spend the time to find some other possible academic/institutional "free" hosts if/when someone else spends the time to answer my non-trivial questions about the long-term viability of ibiblio.