pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #7471] pcplantdb project]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #7471] pcplantdb project]
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:32:01 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> [...]

Well, I have two weeks of familiarity with the product... Content
management is what this project is about and I'm intrigued by the
existing/pre-written possibilities in Zope.

> Curious about the pc relationships/connections between objects
> graphical mapping idea discussed in some depth before that is
> important to Stephanie and to satisfying the terms of the
> grant. Can building HG (the software) with this feature be done
> easier or faster or better with Zope rather than MySQL/Eden/etc?
> I'd also be interested in hearing what John H and John S think
> about this.

There really isn't a way to display dynamic graphics in a web browser
short of using Java as in TouchGraph. One of the big time saving
issues with using Zope is that we don't have to fully normalize our
database schema. The object model is so different that this sort of
process isn't necessary. My first thought when I started to seriously
consider the possibility of using an RDBMS (MySQL) instead of Zope is
that wow, we are going to need 200-300 tables here.

> I agree that if Zope isn't going to happen on ibiblio any time soon
> then using arashi temporarily and migrating to a commercial host is
> a good idea (as long as Rich and Chad [JS & JH also) agree to do
> this). We could then plan to raise money to buy a server for
> ibiblio and move there for a permanent home to save $$ and help
> ensure the long term survivability of the project. I definitely go
> for the "give it year" proposal. Better still to find the money to
> buy a Zope server for ibiblio now, of course. On the other hand
> getting up and running on arashi/some commercial host with a PayPal
> donation button is a great idea. I think there are great ideas and
> possibilities awaiting us. Lets get busy.

Excellent!

> If we could pursuade Stephanita to spend more time communicating
> with the list and less time in her oceanside bungalow on the French
> Riviera we could make some serious progress. Seriously, her
> contribution has been immense and we owe her a big debt of
> gratitude.

I'm more curious as to where Rich is at here. Haven't heard from him
for like 4 days...