pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] .l.a...v.i.s.i.o.n.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] .l.a...v.i.s.i.o.n.
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:42:18 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Allright folks.

Here's the vision, as promised.

*Please* take the time to read it and respond - this is a discussion that must be had early on. We ought to establish our vision and high-level goals, and I present the following as a part of this discussion.

.l.a...v.i.s.i.o.n.

I understand Permaculture as a systems science, seeking to weave meaningful relationships between system components in order to create self-regulating and regenerative systems. System components may be plants – woven together to create guilds, people/organizations – woven together to create communities, or otherwise. Basically, Permaculture to me is a form of ‘Biomimicry,’ applying the principles of inherently-
sustainable ecosystems (waste-as-resource, stacking functions, etc.) to potentially all realms of human activity (although it has thus far been primarily focused on those which satisfy basic human needs).
Snip snip snippidy snip

Great stuff, things are become clearer and I think I could
see a way in which things could work together.
Attached is quick picture of a posible top level
graphical interface and below are the some of the topics
discussed on the permaculture mailing list, the number is how
many posts there were under that subject.

53 where you from?
39 Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
36 creating online plant database
23 For the survival thread...
21 Where are you from?
20 Yeomans Keyline Plow Use
20 Worms
19 the hydrogen argument
19 planting bamboo over septic field
18 Out of Control
18 (Fwd) Interview with Bill Mollison Part Two
17 Permaculture wiki & wikipedia
17 Killer Coke
17 Black Locusts, more....
16 aquaponics
16 Ferrocement Building Project
15 Worms eat my crap?
15 Reed bed filtered swimming pool
15 Re:The American view of the world
15 RE: Major histocompatibility complex (MHC)
15 Biogas digester plans

With a bit of thought and a lot of discussion
we can try to put these into some sort of graph structure.
With each node as a specific topic.

53 where you from?
Probably under a "people and places" topic
with links to various projects around the world.

39 Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
Under a "pros and cons of permaculture" topic

36 creating online plant database
Under a "resources" topic

23 For the survival thread...
Under "pros and cons"

21 Where are you from?

20 Yeomans Keyline Plow Use
Under Design->water systems
and drylands
and tools

20 Worms
under animals
under soil
under compost

19 the hydrogen argument
under pros and cons
under energy

19 planting bamboo over septic field
under plants->bamboo
under compost

After a lot of work organising we could probably come up with
a network representing much of permaculture.
A touch graph type interface could make it fairly quick to
navigate to the particular topic of interest.

In each topic we could have:
links to wiki pages
links to mailing list discussions
links to plant database
links to other resources, videos
links to other websites
links to a google search

The yemoans keyline plough is an interesting example.
Few people not in the know will have heard about this
so they will not search directly for it, however
they may be introduced to the topic if they browse to
a water systems topic.

Anyway just thoughts

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719