pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] should we go for it?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] should we go for it?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:36:22 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

I have no problem with taking some Gates money for an open source, open
content project that can help make their desire to profit from GMO and biotech
unnecessary and irrelevant. ;-]

> -are you willing to dedicate a serious amount of time to this project? (are
> you on board, or would you rather help out and provide feedback only when
> you
> have the time?)

If I can get paid, I can dedicate a serious amount of time - about "half-time"
based on US 40 hr. work week.

> -what would be your preferred role in this project? (i.e. programmer, UI
> designer, tester, Permaculture knowledge expert)

whole systems designer; chief test curmudgeon

> -what wages/overhead seems reasonable to you? (I don't know if we would
> calculate this per hour, per week, or per month - let's discuss this.

I'd do by hour, at US$30/hr.

> I *do*
> know that wages/overhead should not exceed 20% of total budget costs.)

This may be problematic for this sort of project, depending on what is meant
by "wages/overhead"...

In the tech industry, computer hardware and other overhead is typically cheap
compared to wages for the highly skilled people to run/use/apply it. Seems
like most of the $ we want is to pay ourselves for doing the work. What would
the other 80% be spent on "normally?"

Cultural & Ecological Designing