pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] should we go for it?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] should we go for it?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:14:56 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
howdy folks,

So I assume you've all been seeing the postings on funding from Gates and
concerns with using 'dirty money'...

but considering that Gates is a computer dude, and has large $um$ to donate,
our plantdb project would certainly interest his foundation.

I know we are still in the initial planning stages, but if you all agree that
you would like to apply for funding from the Gates Foundation, I will take on
the grantwriting and application process. I believe there is no deadline for
grants (you can apply whenever), but I will write them to ask.

Hum, maybe but only only quite strict conditions, i.e. its
got to be open source/open content/open standards.
We're hoping to get a development manager next year at pfaf,
one of their primary roles will be seaking funding for pfaf
in general and database development could be part of that
to help with funding from our end.

I know from past grantwriting experience that a solid and well-planned budget
is one of the most crucial elements of a successful grant proposal. So I
wanted to ask you a few questions - please respond:

YES! I beleive this would be an essential step to actually
get the project moving.

-are you willing to dedicate a serious amount of time to this project? (are
you on board, or would you rather help out and provide feedback only when you
have the time?)

Yes, time commitment would go up if there was money involved.
Other fish to fry so not sure about if I could do full time.
Unpaid and I've maybe a day a week I could put in.

-what would be your preferred role in this project? (i.e. programmer, UI
designer, tester, Permaculture knowledge expert)

programmer

-what wages/overhead seems reasonable to you? (I don't know if we would
calculate this per hour, per week, or per month - let's discuss this. I *do*
know that wages/overhead should not exceed 20% of total budget costs.)

Tough one, I'd be very happy if I could get £20K/year pro ratabut would do it for less. I guess its about $30K/year.

so what do you all think?
no worries, I am not looking to apply next week or anything - just wanted to
get this dialogue started. But when I start working on the grant proposal, I
can send rough drafts to you all for comments and feedback.

I think this has incredible potential....
Yes indeed. I'm hoping to present some of the ideas
behind the project at the Bioinfomatic winter school which
I've mentioned in the past. If I approach it right we could
get some academic background which could give us some useful
clout. I've a head of CS dept who might be up for a good reference.

All the best

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org