pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'pcdb'" <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:50:16 -0400

Paul,
I understand your assessment regarding CADD tools and their cost
effectiveness on a small scale site level project. However when the
scale is increased say to urban scale planning or an ecovillage or
ecoregional scale they become very valuable and cost effective. A good
example of this is Earthaven. They are continuing to work with a paper
drawing that is somewhat cumbersome and hard to update. How nice it
would be to have the site in digital format. It would make it very easy
to update and delineate all of the various aspects of the site. Zones,
Topography, Built environment,etc would be on different layers and in a
format that is easy to share with others as a design analysis tool or
for educational purposes.
I totally agree with your statement regarding duplication of effort. The
key here is to be able to access the information that is already out
there or sourcing information we may not even know exists. The more we
can cross pollinate our efforts the more likely we are to find existing
nuggets of relevant wisdom and information. One area that there is a
great need to cross pollinate with is with regard to indigenous culture
and wisdom. I remember Bill Mollison saying that if he had to start over
he would devote all of his efforts to collecting this wisdom as it is
being lost so quickly. Although I suspect that more of this wisdom has
been recorded that we realize.
Concerning the funding issue I really like your thinking regarding this.
Thanks for your insight. It makes complete sense to me.
Ken