pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: ken@arcadiandesign.org, pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:04:53 -0700

Welcome Ken,

I saw your post, intended to respond, then got busy. I think our population has become a little listless lately (LAWRENCE -- whats our list population?). It may be useful to do a little marketing for core membership. I have been the principal tinkerer of the wiki lately (having no coding expertise), but still consider working on the better permaculture wiki as part of developing a better understanding of how a more structured dataset would have utility -- many of the folks with DB expertise have come and gone, but will likely come again.

Bless Mr. Rich Morris for his sysop skills (Salix alba on the wiki).

I arrived as some of the same ideas you expressed, and considered the wiki platform the venue for working that angle. I have been trying to develop a taxonomy of permaculture related information.

My idea at this point is to build a good clean structure for a wiki, a system of introductory pages, and a means of tagging and searching articles, then populate some preliminary articles, and then work on marketing that space as a good home for synoptic knowledge base, as well as a home for people wanting a cheap flexible not-for-profit internet presence for information transfer.

Rich has an extraordinary plant DB that could be transfered. We have not had any/many discussions about that.

If you are not familiar with wiki here are some useful pages in this wiki:

http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/PIW:Community_Portal
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Special:Specialpages
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Special:Recentchanges