pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Permaculture] Structuring Topics and Information
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:28:25 -0700

Thank YOU for your interest. No need for formal address. I think we are a rag tag group that generally are what we do.

I agree on the GIS/CADD front -- neat stuff. As a plantsperson working in a world of highpower spatial analysis however, I believe that many of these tools can just increase the cost of design services while not substantially improving design quality, such that the pretty picture doesn't materialize on the ground. I am a big fan of low tech design/build at a site scale, with GIS/CADD primarily used as a survey and area calculation tool, with capital resources reserved for materials and adaptive management. I think the weakness in ecological design is collection, synthesis, and distribution of complex information, with my populist goal being that we all become designers (again.)

how nice it would be to have the database
interface with Google Earth or some similar platform.

Rich -- If and when you get the chance you could allow .KMZ file types as a WIKI media, then people could upload google earth markers, and people with google earth could download and browse that way. There may be other file types associated with 'google earth plus' that I don't know about (.KZL?).
The Keyhole domain has developed considerable functionality for the google earth platform. The power of a simple referential internet is that we don't need to develop a do-it-all platform, just point to these other resources. For the interim the wiki/listserv platform allows for dynamic user generated content. The listserve allows broadscale conversation on topics, while the wiki allows for a synthesis of that topic to be retained... the discussion of orchard grass on the permaculture listserv is a good example... I hope to capture those ideas on a wiki page.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/entrance.php?Cat=0

At some point I would love to browse at the file structure and content that makes up a wiki, is this accessible via FTP?

begin the process of identifying and categorizing various
bioregions (ecoregions)

I would recommend that we not duplicate work done better by others. In particular, ecosystem conservation interests are defining native climate and biogeographic patterns at a scale, accuracy and precision that the Pc community doesn't have the capacity to duplicate:
http://www.worldwildlife.org/science/ecoregions.cfm
http://www.natureserve.org/
We should ally and piggyback on these well funded efforts.

We might also find funding to
put together a team to move a project of this magnitude forward more
effectively. If anyone else is looking for, or has found financial
support for projects like these, please let me know so we can coordinate
our efforts.
I am starting to think that given the power of open source tools currently available suspect that the limiting factors are 1) accurate and clear conceptualization of service and product, 2) stakeholder buy-in and outreach. 3) skilled staff time to analyze and synthesize information to add value to that service/product. #3 requires the money... but would be categorized as operations and maintenance cost. Funders typically don't like to fund O&M. They want to start something and walk away. I suspect we'd be best served by generating a high quality prototype (#1) that precisely and effectively identifies and serves a stakeholder group, then seeking sponsorship for O&M and development as opposed to 'funding' in the sense of grants or awards. The information product must hit the nail squarely, we can demonstrate that product on a shoestring while building the stakeholder group. Other Permawikis appear to have stagnated -- it would be useful to understand why.

Sorry if I'm being abrasive -- just putting my 2 cents on the table.

Paul Cereghino