oscri - Re: [Oscri] About semantic implementation Strategy

oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Manuel Polo <mpolo AT safecreative.org>
  • To: Robert Gaggin <rgaggin AT copyright.com>
  • Cc: oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Oscri] About semantic implementation Strategy
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:39:31 +0100

Hi all!

First of all, let me introduce myself, My name is Manuel Polo and I'm a software engineer from the development team behind SafeCreative.org, and I'm very interested in the development and architectural part of an OSCRI standard.

Talking about work metadata, I'd like to know if its time to begin defining a work registration scheme number for interoperability among registries, or we shall fall to relate to a registration URI within a RDF document?

On the other hand we have been lately addressing some metadata issues, and I recall the conversation with Ben about RDFa proposal to achieve a better semantic implementation but don't recall where to find the suggestions.

Would be interesting to hear from such suggestions.. ;)

We understand that for some purposes the included metadata in the file brings some problems, thus to find if there's any metadata and the nature of the rights involved we need to somehow gain access to the whole work. If there's no metadata or the matadata shows that we have no right to gain access to the work we might find some problems.

Do you have any suggestions about this. I'm specially thinking about the way P2P protocols work to solve this problem.

Work identification is one goal to address technically. It has many approaches. Hashing is one of the simplest, and it's used extensively within p2p networks to index the contents. The problem is to add intelligence to such process, and currently seems to be simply dumb and blind.

Greetings

--
Manuel Polo Tolón
Software Engineer