ocba - [ocba] foundationless frames opinion...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] foundationless frames opinion...
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:21:55 -0400

Hi Jeff,

I started using foundationless frames this year, and the bees are
doing fine. I mixed strips and foundationless, and didn't have any
problems. I have vertical cleats on both.

(comb on foundationless are to the right 1 and 3 photos)
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/Bees?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3A8NyCyffRMg#5726575849981808898

There's no real reason for me to use foundation as far as I can tell-
maybe bees will draw it out faster? And not make as much drone comb?
Or maybe they won't accidentally cross the frames? Giving them more
wax means they don't have to make it, so it's saving them some
resources. As far as the things you measure in ppm, I would like to
know about the differences. At least with foundationless you know
where the wax is coming from (2 mile radius).

Foundationless is cheaper than foundation and assembly is marginally easier.

I have a mix of different sized strips, no foundation, and foundation.
Honestly, there hasn't been much difference- I checkerboarded them in
and I can't visually see any huge differences, but it's possible there
is a preference that I'm missing.

Allegedly swarms are great at drawing comb, so for my first two swarms
this year I put in deeps with a mix of foundationless and strips and
they all looked fine. In my established hive, they drew it out a
little slower I think (but this is based on memory, not measurements).

Best,
Blair

  • [ocba] foundationless frames opinion..., Blair Christian, 04/09/2012