ocba - Re: [ocba] Honeybees for UNC Biology

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Honeybees for UNC Biology
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:16:22 -0400 (EDT)

I don't have much experience either, but I did get to play with the 5 frame observation hive at Chestnut Ridge for a couple of years. Chris Richmond is currently taking that one on.  It's actually outside so it's easier to maintain.  It gets stocked in the spring and the bees are removed in October (unless the colony has already collapsed).  Hive beetles were certainly an issue .  Keeping it covered with something to keep the light out when not in use seems to be important as well.  Having a support hive that you can pull resources from as needed is important as well

Hopefully others with good experience will chime in.

Lewis