ocba - Re: [ocba] Honeybees for UNC Biology

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • To: "Daw, Larry (Environment Health & Safety)" <JLDAW AT ehs.unc.edu>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Honeybees for UNC Biology
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:45:16 -0400

Larry, better for you to take it on, then.  I actually work at Duke right now and wouldn't be able to check on the hive on weekdays most of the time.

Catherine

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Daw, Larry (Environment Health & Safety) <JLDAW AT ehs.unc.edu> wrote:

Catherine,

I live in Chatham County and am active in the club there.  I lurk on your listserv and have been successful sitting on my hands when it comes to getting involved there.

I have bees at two locations here in Chapel Hill and work at UNC (see below).  I’m around campus during the week and am thinking that maybe I could help some with the observation hive.  And I don’t have any experience with them either.  I suspect the biggest efforts would be to maintain adequate food for them given their limited ability to forage (as you mentioned).  An occasional new queen might also be useful.

I’m on my 8th or 9th year of beekeeping (would really need to think to know for sure) so I’ve been around the block at least some.

Honestly, I’m not so sure the “team” management approach really works that well with regard to beekeeping, but maybe we could find a way to make it work.

If you are interested, we can do a back and forth with emails, or we could try and meet one day and talk.  We could even do it up there at the observation hive.  My schedule is very flexible, but generally limited to 8-5 during weekdays.

Lastly, I’ve taken the live and let die approach to my bees and don’t use pesticides.  I’m reasonably successful.  I would hope the observation hive could be run in that manner, but suspect it will be a science experiment and time will tell.

Let me know your thoughts, email or give me a call.

Larry Daw, L.G.
Geophysicist/Licensed Geologist
Department of Environment, Health & Safety
1120 Estes Drive Extension
Campus Box 1650
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1650
(919) 962-6666