nafex - Re: [nafex] paw paw taste

  • From: mark wessel <growyourown@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] paw paw taste
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 08:39:36 -0500

I love paw paw and eat them every day when I am at work. We have many named
varieties including most of the Peterson material. My favorites are
Shenandoah, Potomac and a few selections from Jerry Lehman. Only numbers for
Jerry's. A few things things separate my favorites from wild populations and
some other named varieties. All of my favorites have sweet, pure and intense
flavor with no off flavors. No earthy or green notes come through. Texture is
better and seed to pulp ratio is very good. Some varieties and wild trees are
packed with seeds.

We have a long season of ripening starting in mid to late august and
extending into October some years. I thoroughly enjoy eating them with no
worries or feelings of guilt until someone brings up the study about paw paws
causing parkinson’s disease. What a buzz kill.