nafex - Re: [nafex] Fruit trees -- high water table

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fruit trees -- high water table
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 08:34:03 -0500

On 1/7/2017 12:18 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:
I want to grow rare ferns and calcium-dependent perennials like purple
milkweed and Indian (scarlet) paint-brush. I don't know if liming a field
yearly is something I am interested in doing; I'm interested in sustainable
permaculture and nature-scaping. I would, however, be willing to add rock
and gravel (calcareous -- calcium & magnesium-rich dolomite, for instance) to
the landscape if this would confer a persistent alteration to the soil.
For instance, bring in a few truck loads of dolomite gravel and dump it on a
small field, spread it out, and later seed it with Indian paint-brush
(Castilleja coccinea). Anyone think this would work, long-term?
Hi Steve,

I tend to agree with Rivka the price per acre may be a bargain but you probably are better off looking for something more pH neutral. In one of your emails you said planting 3 acres which isn't very much ground and you soon would be expanding that. Then you would be trying to control the pH on more acreage. However the trade-off for the terrain (outcropping) and wooded area they make it worth your while. Based on conditions in this area, ground agricultural limestone is something they apply every few years and to bring up the acidity is something you would be doing continually. It wouldn't be a one-time treatment.

Jerry

PS. It's not fun digging in soil with stones.