nafex - Re: [nafex] looking for a hardiness listing of peach rootstock

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] looking for a hardiness listing of peach rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:48:29 -0400

In the Niagara peninsula (I think USDA zone 6), Bailey seedlings are preferred.

In the Windsor area of Southern Ontario, there was some interest in the past in Siberian C.
Tzim Pee Tao or Chui Lum Tao were I understand eventually preferred there from trial results, but I'm not sure what the growers have settled on. I have the impression that the advantage over Bailey for Sw Ontario conditions was not great. In British Columbia (Okanagan valley) Siberian C seems to be approved, but soil treatment for nematodes is recommended.

An article from 1950 based I think mostly on U. Minnesota work, suggested that St. Julien A was about USDA zone 5 hardiness.

I have read of prairie-hardy Western sand cherry Prunus besseyi being used as a rootstock for peach on well drained soil for short periods, and sometimes P. tomentosa, but I am not sure about long term compatibility and anchorage.

Snow cover and root insulation will make a difference.

Krymsk is just north of the western end of the Caucasus mountains, a little SW of Krasnodar which from its wikipedia article has a record low of about minus 27 degrees Fahrenheit.

Krymsk1 is a cross between Prunus tomentosa and P. cerasifera (myrobalan). See
http://www.janssen-rootstocks.nl

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada