nafex - Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

  • From: "Deannie Hughes" <davidndeannie@nctc.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:06:43 -0500

First, I am no tech or media expert. I have only been on facebook myself for a short period of time. It has its drawbacks to be sure. I am very surprised at who shows an interest in my postings. This is the point. I did not mean to suggest that this forum nor any other should be eliminated, but that a presence on the other platforms might draw in new blood and refresh the oganization. Nafex has been difficult for me to enjoy because I do not know but one or two other members. I have tried to join in on some discussions on topics I was interested in on this forum and was basically ignored. I enjoyed the paper version of Pomona and understand it is expensive to produce and mail thus it's demise. So, what is there for me or anyone else to want to join?
It may be a sign of the times, that people are no longer joiners to any sort of organization. The internet as a whole has made information "free" though not neccessarily correct or even close to accurate. I suppose my suggestion is to be more inclusive as a forum. Maybe include people you don't know in your discussions. Try to make this forum a little less of a public display of private conversations.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Nichols" <bnichols@ecotechinc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:22 AM

There is a LOT wrong with the opinion expressed below. I want to start off restating the aspects which ARE correct. NAFEX, like most similar organizations, has experienced a decline in membership. Boards become entrenched, people who worked tirelessly for organizations slow down, marketing and recruitment wane for decades and time shows culture changes quite a bit. So, I would agree that social media has a part to play in people focusing their interests and seeking out the proverbial birds-of-a-feather. Not too many years ago it might take weeks to get answers via mail unless one was willing to fork over a large amount for long-distance calls...remember those black things with the little dial with fingerholes? ;) That said, ALL communication platforms have limitations as well as areas of strength. If, as you rightly describe below, one is looking for "light conversation", social media works. How many of us want more info? Social media is also good for a sort of chat-of-the-mo
ment. It is not as good as a listserv for more in depth discussions and archives...and that's fine. It wasn't designed to be. Additionally, just a presence on facebook doesn't mean that creates members. Years ago I was surprised at how many forum members were not members of NAFEX. The forum certainly had the attention of non-member fruit-growers. How can that be?

The assumption that since everyone does not mindlessly accept certain communicative platforms means it is a generational issue, or that someone is really missing out if they don't interact on twitter and facebook is faulty at best. I *could* drive a Seguay across the country but would p[robably be better served in my trusty old car. Social media platforms ARE pretty good from a marketing perspective. However, because of the usability of the various platforms, many do not lend themselves well to more in-depth disussion. I'll take my copy of POMONA rather than have to wade through all the copy on Facebook or any of the other platforms-of-the-moment. <GASP> Lest this be turned into some rant from a luddite, I use computers, both professsionally and personally, day and night, I have 2 smartphones, a tablet, 3 desktops, and a laptop. I carry a signal booster in my vehicles because my work also takes me far off the beaten path. I LIKE technology. I just don't think some of the bel
ls and whistles are worth trading away my privacy rights, nor do I think I should limit my interactions with others or my reading to easily digested bites found only on twitter and facebook...and I really don't need to see a picture of the really great pizza someone had for lunch. I do agree there should be a presence, but I think we should recognize why we're there, and the limitations as well as the benefits. We should also realize, we're not all going to drive the same cars. While some of us may stream content, we also buy CDs and DVDs. And vinyl records are on the rise again...mainly fueled by a much younger audience who were not around for them the first time. Social media should be additive NOT substitutive. YMMV...and as I stated before, that is why these platforms exist.