nafex - [nafex] OT a bit- Saving hybrid seed (corn)

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] OT a bit- Saving hybrid seed (corn)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 06:18:45 -0600

I made a last minute decision to plant some sweet corn. Found a 2007
package of Tuxedo in the bottom of my seed box. Pre-sprouted it and it
worked. So I planted it. Then I looked up Tuxedo. I found that it was a
smut resistant yellow sweet corn with good tip cover and good eating
qualities, Sugar Enhanced hybrid and the only seed source is in England.
http://www.halcyonplants.co.uk/index.php?page=product_details
<http://www.halcyonplants.co.uk/index.php?page=product_details&product_id=13
48> &product_id=1348 So. if I want to try and save seed from this year and
maybe work toward stabilizing it, what are my challenges? How should I
proceed?

Or, I am not really that hooked into it. I would settle for the name of
another smut resistant yellow or bicolor sweet corn that tastes very good.

Naomi