nafex - [nafex] update on Carmine Jewel Cherry

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] update on Carmine Jewel Cherry
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 14:52:52 -0400

In spring of 2011 I bought a Carmine Jewel cherry tree. It was one of those
situations where I paid a lot more for shipping than for the plant, so I
actually bought 3, and gave 2 to friends. The friend with really full sun
said his bloomed a little last year, but I don't think he got fruit. (If he
did, he didn't pick it, because he's a somewhat observant Jew, and he didn't
want to eat fruit from the first year.)

The year, all three of them bloomed. I was surprised that it bloomed after
the leaves emerged. I expect prunus to finish blossoming before opening the
leaves. The one in full sun bloomed profusely, and the other two bloomed
substantially. I got about 20 clusters of blossoms. My tree is about 5' high,
as is the other smaller one. The one in full sun is 6' high. I was shocked to
see that basically every blossom seems to have set fruit. The tree is covered
with fat swollen ovaries. I guess I have to figure out what to do about birds
this year.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6