nafex - Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles recommendations (anton ptak)

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles recommendations (anton ptak)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 16:26:04 -0600

LOL Richard.
And War Eagle, anyway.

Lucky

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Richard Moyer

I should note that Michael Dirr in his woody ornamentals only valued this
quince for only 3 weeks per year during bloom, unless wanting an effective
screen against 'dumb football jocks'. (Note he worked at UGA in Athens.
UGA fans may prefer Poncirus trifoliata for Auburn players, but that's
another story.) Dirr said the remainder of the year, the Chaenomeles thorns
are effective at catching and holding trash such as plastic bags.

My grandmother had some very productive Chaenomeles plants at her home -
wish I had had presence of mind enough to get starts of them before the farm
sold, and the developers bulldozed much of the stuff she'd planted...
LLP