nafex - Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles recommendations (anton ptak)

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles recommendations (anton ptak)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:26:35 -0500

Anton,
We've been harvesting and using Chaenomeles for about 20 years.
The plants sucker profusely. We drove around town at bloom, made note of
where these were. Can be seen easily during full bloom which can last for
weeks and is before much else has leafed out.

Came back in the fall and asked permission to pick from those with heaviest
fruit. Made note of the best fruit, then went back and asked permission to
dig up suckers from the best plants.

Planted three of these together, for best cross pollination. They fruit
heavily now each year.

Also purchased the pink/white cultivar 'Toyo Nishiki' which has very large
fruit and has been a dependable producer. From Hidden Springs Nursery in
Cookeville, TN. www.*hiddenspringsnursery*.com They've offered other
selections as well.

Culinary use:
We half or quarter the fruit, then juice with the steam juicers from
Finland. We use the juice in place of lemon juice, and sell some to
dessert chefs as well. Once canned, will keep for years at room temp.
Also, the steamed sauce can make a paste like guava paste. We've also made
quince drop candy which has been a hit with some of our market customers.

Chaenomeles is also quite fireblight resistant, unlike many Cydonia quince.

So in summary, worth growing for the beauty in bloom, but also for the
unique fruit. Though I should note that Michael Dirr in his woody
ornamentals only valued this quince for only 3 weeks per year during bloom,
unless wanting an effective screen against 'dumb football jocks'. (Note he
worked at UGA in Athens. UGA fans may prefer Poncirus trifoliata for
Auburn players, but that's another story.) Dirr said the remainder of the
year, the Chaenomeles thorns are effective at catching and holding trash
such as plastic bags.

Richard Moyer
SW VA Maple syrup season on our north ridge. While boiling down sap,
we're clearing land nearby, saving the mulberries, wineberries,
gooseberries and black raspberries. So dreaming of fruit come summer!