nafex - Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 22:08:46 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/3/2014 5:34:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hollaus@comcast.net writes:

> In this case I am trying to propagate 'spur van' sweet cherry for an
> Alaska project that I need a suitable cherry low enough to the
> ground. It is the original material that I believe exists in the
> "stressed" state and a cultivar "van" that is more prone to bacteria
> canker, an internal bacteria for which plant pathologists have been
> tying to find a good cure for for a hundred years. Trying to freeze
> the scions seems to be the only viable option worth trying because
> it might could place bacteria into a dormancy. I'll try some of
> these suggestions from the other helps such as Jerry and Alexis as
> well and just see.

Gentlemen,

This discussion thread started as winter grafting for persimmon. I stand by
my suggestions that it could be done, and how. I have grafted sweet cherry
and stored it's scions. Prunus and Diospyros are entirely different, with
sweet cherry being a greater challenge to work with. Fungus is a much greater
problem with Prunus. What I wrote about grafting persimmon does not apply to
sweet cherry.

I have also grafted persimmon after storing well over a year. Persimmon is
easy to handle. Keeping sweet cherry viable that long is very difficult,
nearly impossible.

Jerry