nafex - Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 22:33:40 +0000 (UTC)

They are able to freeze bud sticks in liquid nitrogen (super
freezing) for over a decade and still bud them back to life so it is
pleasing to hear how you can go some of that distance in the
ordinary fridge or freezer. You also made a good point concerning
mold and mildew and the issue of being too wet. This is very true.

I was talking about systemic issues which involve bacterial infected
tissues from the interior of storing scions. For example I can get
an order from GRIN for sweet cherry scions and by the time I get
them in the mail the bacteria has multiplied to the point that when
I receive the package it is already past. In this case it does not
matter if it is summer budwood or dormant scions for winter
grafting. I will use amur cherry and sweet cherry on the same
established rootstock only to have just the sweet cherry fail.

In this case I am trying to propagate 'spur van' sweet cherry for an
Alaska project that I need a suitable cherry low enough to the
ground. It is the original material that I believe exists in the
"stressed" state and a cultivar "van" that is more prone to bacteria
canker, an internal bacteria for which plant pathologists have been
tying to find a good cure for for a hundred years. Trying to freeze
the scions seems to be the only viable option worth trying because
it might could place bacteria into a dormancy. I'll try some of
these suggestions from the other helps such as Jerry and Alexis as
well and just see.