nafex - Re: [nafex] Apricot hardiness

  • From: "Judi Stewart" <js@olympus.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apricot hardiness
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 10:44:38 -0800

Would you say then that apricots be mounded or planted in raised beds in
western Washington and Oregon?

Judi Stewart

Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:50:53 -0800 (PST)

From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>

As a parallel, there are many perennials that are difficult to grow in
western Washington and Oregon, simply because it is difficult to manage soil
moisture during the dormant season. They are far hardier from a temperature
standpoint than any temperatures they will ever suffer here, but they don't
like having wet feet all winter long and tend to be rather short-lived in
the lowlands west of the mountains as a result. I'm not saying this is the
exact case with Apricots, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it is
something peculiar to the climate other than temperature.

Michael

Michael Dossett

Mission, British Columbia

www.Mdossettphoto.com