nafex - Re: [nafex] Cummins Nursery

  • From: Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Cummins Nursery
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 06:36:19 -0700

I headed at 18 inches because my espalier consists of overlapping "V" shapes,
with each tree dividing into two trunks that grow at 45 degree angles.

I have another espalier with horizontal branches trained to wires, and I
think the lowest laterals start at 2 feet with subsequent ones every foot. I
don't remember if I had to head these trees to get the lowest laterals to
form, but I do remember starting with small trees for this espalier as well.

My success rate for trees from Cummins has been 100% so far, but I've only
ordered around 20-25 trees from them.

All the best,
Chris Kennel
Denver, CO

> On Dec 14, 2013, at 9:48 PM, Wes Cherry <wes@dragonsheadcider.com> wrote:
>
> You will get anywhere from whips to well feathered trees.
>
> I have ordered from cummins 3 yrs in a row now. I'm across the country
> and the trees have arrived safe n sound, even after spending a week on ups
> trucks.
>
> I have had 90-100% survival rate. (I'm pretty sure the survival rate
> variance is due to my handling of the trees, as well as the condition of my
> soil at planting).
>
> Chris, a question: why did you head at 18"? Do you really want your
> primary laterals that low?
>
> -'//es
>
> Sent using the 4S
>
>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Christopher Kennel <ckennel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can specify your size preference when you order. For example when I
>> set up an espalier I asked for very small trees so I could head them at 18
>> inches. I really like the service Cummins provides.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Chris Kennel
>>
>>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 5:05 PM, ak <akmanty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've heard good reports about doing business with Cummins.
>>> Question: Is the tree you order quite small, more like a whip, or is it
>>> closer to bearing soonish?
>>> Karen
>>> WI