nafex - Re: [nafex] Krymsk 1 rootstock, cummins

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Krymsk 1 rootstock, cummins
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:17:56 -0600

I have both purchased grafted apricot trees (from Cummins) using Krysmk-1 and also done some grafting on Krymsk-1 rootstocks. It is a little too early to say, but I have lost some of the Apricots on Krymsk-1. This may be due to the varieties not being fully hardy here, though we have not had a real test winter since they've been in the ground. I believe I bought Henderson, Hargrand, Harrow Gen, and Harlayne in that order. We have also had pretty significant droughts the previous 2 years so the young trees may be stressed somewhat.

As for grafting, I might suspect the Krysmk rootstocks are sensitive to common latent viruses. Again, I cannot verify this, but I have lost many Krysmk-5 and Krymsk-1 grafts (including the rootstock) shortly after planting the successful takes out in the field. Other grafts at the same time did not show the same signs of failure. I will likely not be trying to graft on this series in the future, other than the few stocks I still have remaining.

As for Cummins, I'll definitely agree that they have great customer service and offer a great selection of varieties and rootstocks. Their prices have gone up in recent years to the point where an order of 100 trees will cost you well over $15/tree for the larger caliper stock, especially for non apples or patented varieties, and the trees may not have any scaffolds. Some trees may be well branched and bear quite soon, but you may have to wait an extra year for some stock to get to that point. Just something to keep in mind. I'm sure their staff would be upfront with you on that and indeed the information on their website communicates this.

Anton Ptak
Zone 4a W. Wisconsin