nafex - Re: [nafex] dwarf peach/Contender -citation

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] dwarf peach/Contender -citation
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:39:11 +0000 (UTC)

I once had a Frost peach that had Citation as a dwarf rootstock and it
originated from Biringer wholesale about 20 years ago. I was very happy
with the production and branches low and easy to reach fruit. I would
certainly recommend that as a dwarf peach stock. I knew at the time that
Citation was under patent described as "more dwarfing for peaches" than for
plums. I even remember talking to Biringer's owner to make sure what the
"Frost" and "Dwarf" on the label meant as a way to make sure I had a dwarf.

Years later I joined a fruit society where I was able to grow out a couple
of Citation which got to be several years old before I would start learning
some grafting on them. They were very disease free but they don't impart the
disease resistance to the peach because my Frost peach would require much
attention against bacteria PSS compared to no attention required for the
ungrafted ones.

I also have Krymsk-1 which seem like they need zero for attention but one of
K1 seems to have sent up some root volunteers which had never happened with
any of my Citation before.

Rupert Hollaus
Western Washington (high bacterial PSS prone area)