nafex - [nafex] graphically illustrated book of apple diseases

  • From: Zeugitai <zeugitai@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] graphically illustrated book of apple diseases
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:44:37 -0500

Is there a book that can be recommended that contains lots of pictures that
I could use for diagnosis of apple problems? I'm seeing odd problems this
year that I've never seen before in my five years since trying to start a
small home orchard.

One such problem, for example, is a cross-hatch of splits or cracks along
with a corresponding crazy pattern of superficial marking around the whole
fruit.

I am in northwestern Iowa, and we haven't had significant rain since June
25th. All the watering has been intermittent, and by necessity, is done
with hard water from our well. Trees are getting no shortage of iron!

My orchard is small and barely established. We have used no sprays in the
five years since we started these trees. We do suffer pesticide/herbicide
drift from neighboring large-scale farming operations.

Thank you!

Mark