nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 16:52:36 -0400

Jay,
It sounds like you are mostly doing all the right things. I'm wondering,
how much organic matter is in the soil you are planting into? My yard has
a thick layer of compost that I added to the entire lot about ten years
ago. It varies from 4-10" deep. The pawpaws, preferring bottomland sites,
seem to really prefer growing in high organic matter soils that are evenly
moist for most of the growing season. I'm not in a bottomland area, but
the soil moisture here is pretty moist most of the season, especially this
year. Btw, I am thinking more and more that the great success I've had
this season transplanting suckers is mostly due to an extremely rainy
summer. If it were last year's drought I doubt I'd be able to keep the
pawpaws watered enough to have as much success, but we've had a ton of rain
and mild temperatures so far.

Mike
Ann Arbor, MI
Zone 5b