nafex - Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw survival
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:17:46 -0500

On 7/10/2013 2:49 PM, Jay Cutts wrote:
I've been trying to establish pawpaws for a number of years in New
Mexico at 5000 feet. I seem to be seeing a pattern in which the plants
does ok the first season and then seems to diminish and die ought the
second or third. I had a plant that leafed out real nicely this spring
with lots of big leaves, which then died off one by one.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jay

Jay,

You did not mention if these were sucker plants or grown from
seeds.

For sucker generated plants, it is better to let them stay in the
ground for at least one season before digging them up. I was
not able to do so and I had some similar experiences like yourself.
Plants might survive a season or two, and then die. Others seemed
to take hold. I suspect it had to do with the independence of the
sucker from the mother tree.

I have no experience with growing Pawpaws from seed. In fact,
I was not even able to get them to germinate. I understand that
there is a better survival rate if you can graft a Pawpaw onto a
rootstock.

I hope you are not starting them in the hot New Mexico sunlight.
they need to be protected from the sun for their first few years of
growth. People will cover the plants to do this, or plant them in
a shady spot that also lets sun get to them when they get higher.

Sherwin Dubren