nafex - Re: [nafex] Keeping rabbits out of garden: Digest, Vol 125, Issue 8

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Keeping rabbits out of garden: Digest, Vol 125, Issue 8
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:29:00 +0100

I get aluminum screening (free, from places that repair screen doors &
windows) and staple it in a ring around especially tasty or valuable baby
trees. I think I make out about 18" tall, but I just do what's convenient
with the pieces of screening I have. I leave about an inch of space between
the screen and the stem, and check in the spring to see if any of my rings
need to be loosened. I don't staple the screen to the baby tree, but to
itself. Then I shove the base of the ring an inch or two into the ground, and
wrap the top tightly around the stem. This keeps out both rabbits and borers.

(i also put a larger ring, of steel grid-wire, with a 5 or 6 foot diameter,
around anything I need to protect from deer. This ring is 4-6' high,
depending on what I bought and what is lying around. Out probably wouldn't
keep out a starving deer, but it works for our well-fed suburban deer.)
--
Ginda

Typed with Swype. Who knows what I intended to say?

Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com> wrote:

Folks:

Regarding young trees and rabbits. I have found that tomato cages
work quite well if you don't have too many trees and you have plenty of
cages. You wouldn't think that the wide spacing of the cages would deter

them but it does. My best guess is based on rabbit behavior. First of
all, they have to raise up to nibble off the top of the sapling (which
they seem to prefer to do. The bars of the tomato cage tend to be in the

way. Second, they are constantly raising their heads to check for
danger. I don't think that they like to be in situations where they
can't raise their heads. I can't guarantee that this will work but it
seems to be 100% with my city-bred rabbits.

Geoffrey Tolle

On 6/12/13 3:51 PM, Bob Hartman wrote:
> Here the rabbits prefer the young fruit trees rather than the lettuce.
They
> leave the lettuce alone and go after the fruit trees, especially the
young
> plum trees are their favorite.
> Bob
> Western Washington