nafex - [nafex] pollination and bumblebees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] pollination and bumblebees
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:20:19 -0400

I was watching the bumblebees on my blueberry bushes this weekend, and it
looked like they were territorial! Has anyone else seen one bumble bee drive
another away before?

I was pleased to see several large bumble bees, a few smaller things that
were probably orchard bees (but they didn't hold still for me to identify
them) and a lot of little flies or something. Over on the apple-crop list for
commercial apple growers, a lot of people have been commenting on the lack of
wild pollinators this year, but I have been pleased by the number and
diversity of insects in my blossoms. And I've never seen more fruit set on
the Cornus Mas, although it is still early, and the trees may drop the
proto-fruits.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6