nafex - Re: [nafex] Early fl.s for bees (was 'pollination and b.b.s')

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Early fl.s for bees (was 'pollination and b.b.s')
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:01:30 +0000

This reminds me to report I saw honeybees on the very early snowdrops, and on
the slightly later scilla or blue squill.  I also saw on the scilla one of
the larger bumblebees, and a native pollinator about 1/2 the size & twice the
speed & duller color than honeybees.

I've never seen enough snowdrops in one place to keep a small hive fed, but
scilla sometimes spread far in a shade/ dappled shade yard & woods.

I've also noticed honeybees interested in water, at least as much as the
nearby flowers.

tc, s.WI z4/5, spring later than traditional normal, only pin cherries & wild
plums & sheltered pears in bloom.