nafex - Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 01:05:26 -0400

On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Barry Nichols wrote:

> Howdy folks. This is Barry Nichols (persimmonpudding.com) from work. So
> here's the deal. I have a test plot we're trying to make with native
> species. There are multiple objectives but that is the hinge. Within the
> natives, we're going to try to use cultivars in order to satisfy additional
> objectives. To that end, I'm having a bit of a problem locating selected
> or improved plants. I am NOT looking for hybrids between species. Below
> are the plants from which I'm having problems sourcing cultivars:
>
> Amelanchier laevis Allegheny serviceberry

I only see A canadensis and A alnifolia for sale

> Corylus americana hazelnut
>
> Rubus occidentalis black raspberry
>
> Rubus allegheniensis common blackberry
>
> Aronia melanocarpa black chokeberry - do have one sourced but would
> like 1 or 2 more)

St. Lawrence Nurseries sells Nero and Viking
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/eorn.html#Aronia

> Vaccinium pallidum lowbush blueberry

St Lawrence also says that one of their blueberry cultivars is a lowbush, and
not a hybrid of lowbush and northern hybrid (which is most of what they
sell.) Check out "Putte".
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/blueberries.html

But aren't you south of the normal range of lowbush blueberries?

Ginda Fisher