nafex - Re: [nafex] Varieties of Cornelian-cherry

  • From: Little John <moonwise_herbs@sbcglobal.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Varieties of Cornelian-cherry
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,

Last year one of the varieties that I had a failure on was "Black Plum". John
Gordon sent me some scions before he died but they were really thick & woody
and not good for grafting. Maybe some other time I'll come across some scions
of that variety.

As for the best tasting variety of C.mas I hear that its a variety called
"Abanos" or "Eppler's Black". Alexander Eppler in Seattle has a collection of
about 20 varieties and he says thats his best. I got some wood from him this
year so we'll see how it stacks up in a few years.

If you want to dream about C.mas here's a good site....
http://cornusmas.eu/pages/strona-glowna/oferta/deren-jadalny-cornus-mas

Happy Grafting,
Little John

"If we do not initiate the boys, they will burn the village down" -African
Proverb