nafex - Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cultivars of some lesser used species?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:51:55 -0400

I'm sure each of these species could be an essay in itself, but I'll just
add a few comments about my direct knowledge.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Barry Nichols
<bnichols@ecotechinc.com>wrote:

> Amelanchier laevis Allegheny serviceberry

I'm not aware of any cultivars of this straight species, most of the
cultivars selected for fruit or ornamental characteristics seem to be other
species. And it's pretty hard to tell the species apart. Lots of blurry
lines.

> Corylus americana hazelnut

I believe Oikos has selected varieties that are pure C. americana. Seems
like most of cultivars selected for nuts are hybrids.

> Rubus occidentalis black raspberry
>
> This one should be easy, many cultivars selected without hybridization.
Try any berry supplier, Indiana Berry is my favorite.

> Rubus allegheniensis common blackberry
>
> Not aware of any cultivars here.

> Aronia melanocarpa black chokeberry - do have one sourced but would
> like 1 or 2 more)
>
> Seems like Nero and Viking are the only ones usually offered, I think One
Green World is the only place I've seen that offers more than one cultivar.

> Vaccinium pallidum lowbush blueberry
>
> I believe Oikos may have a selection of this.

Prunus americana - Again, I think the huge majority of cultivars are
selected from american/japanese crosses, and any cultivars are probably no
longer available. Oikos may have a selection of the straight species.

Oikos Tree Crops, if you are unfamiliar with them, doesn't offer any clonal
'cultivar' material, but they do select their seed strains for fruiting and
hardiness characteristics. They have many more straight species than most
fruit nurseries.

Good luck!

-matt
z5 se MI