nafex - Re: [nafex] Nanking Cherries; WHITE fruited varieties from EL - difference between #1, 2, AND 3

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Nanking Cherries; WHITE fruited varieties from EL - difference between #1, 2, AND 3
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:19:16 -0800 (PST)

Sorry, Steve, I was not paying that much attention when I had both of them.
(1 and 2) I did enjoy them, however. They tasted much sweeter than the
red's I have grown. My remaining bush did not do well this year. The
unusual weather the past few years has been stressing the plants.

I've been doing trials with white or light colored small fruits for years,
mostly because trying to obtain a harvest in this local area (western PA) is
very difficult given the bird pressures and my small garden. Netting appears
to be the only reliable option but I find that to be very tedious. The birds
do seem to ignore the white's most years, but occasionally do go for them.

John