nafex - [nafex] Nanking Cherries; WHITE fruited varieties from EL - difference between #1, 2, AND 3

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Nanking Cherries; WHITE fruited varieties from EL - difference between #1, 2, AND 3
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:13:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi John,

Do you think that there is much of a fruit-quality (i.e. flavor) difference
between Nanking #1, #2 and (although you don't have the last of these) #3?

Steve

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:11:02 -0800 (PST)
From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [nafex] Does anyone have a superior-fruiting
Nanking-cherry? (even a seedling)

Hi, If my memory is correct, Edible Landscaping was selling 3 different
lines
of white Nanking which were labeled, at one point, as #1, #2 and #3 due to
needing two for pollination. I've grown both #1 and #2 and both produced
sweet,
delicious fruit for me, although flavor would have to be labeled as mild.
I've
been very happy with them, although one of the plants died two years ago.
The
very best feature is that the robins don't seem to pay attention to them,
allowing a relatively easy harvest. I think the robins are focused on
another
fruit at the time these Nankings are ripening.

John