nafex - Re: [nafex] Relocating squirrels

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Relocating squirrels
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 00:07:48 -0400

I live in the Adirondack Mountains of New York state. Is relocating animals legal here? Not necessarily, but this is from a publication of the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation:
Best practices
for nuisance wildlife control operators in New York State....
"Trap and transfer" (a.k.a. "relocation")
Quote:
" Is this technique all bad? (If it was, would it be in this manual? Really.) Wildlife biologists relocate animals. This technique has been used to reintroduce wildlife into areas where they were once found, for example, or to stock certain areas with game species, such as wild turkey. But when it comes to nuisance wildlife, the usefulness of this technique is debatable.... so you'll need to think about it.

Should you decide to relocate an animal, there are several things you can do to give it the best possible chance of survival. Find an area with suitable habitat for that species, with good and varied sources of food and shelter. Release the animal during the time of day when it's naturally active, for example, release a nocturnal animal at dusk or in the evening, not in the middle of the day."