nafex - Re: [nafex] Best apricots for the northeast

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Best apricots for the northeast
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:38:56 -0400

Steve -

You might try Harlayne - a late bloomer that ripens much later than
Early Blush. It was developed in Harrow, Ontario, which due to the
lake effect probably has a climate similar to New Jersey. It is
carried by Gurneys and several other nurseries.

I have had good luck with Hungarian Rose here in Indiana (zone 5b).
It is also a late bloomer. I bought it from Stark Bros but it isn't
available anymore. I could send scionwood next spring.

The problem with sweet pit apricots (like Hungarian Rose) is that
squirrels will chew into the green apricots to get to the pits. Once
one squirrel figures out how to do it, the whole neighborhood will
beat a path to your tree.

Fred