nafex - Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 111, Issue 12 worries about plantcares.com AND weather forecast site to try: accuweather.com

  • From: Patsy King <pking888@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 111, Issue 12 worries about plantcares.com AND weather forecast site to try: accuweather.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:41:58 -0700

Thanks to all who responded about the plantcares company and rootstock. I
was hoping somebody had good things to report about them, but that's not
the case so far!!! They seem disreputable if they're stealing descriptions
and photos, and also I can't find them on Dave's garden watchdog "the scoop
on..." part, or anywhere on the web except plantcares' own site. I am
worried that they might be a scam company possibly. Anyway, thanks for
the input!

Good luck to all of you who are having cold during the bloom period, ugh.
Richard Moyer makes a good point about using these times to learn about our
microclimates. I would like to get a slew of minimum/maximum thermometers
and set them out here and there. This last fall and winter and spring I
was intrigued to observe the areas on my place that had frost, and some
that didn't, and these places were not what I would have thought them to
be...for example some lower lying areas (which I assumed would be frost
pockets) did not have frost some mornings that higher sloping land did.
However, this was just visual observation of frost on the grass, not temps
read from a minimum recording thermometer.

People might want to take a look at accuweather.com. It seems that now
they have a forecast for something like 3 WEEKS in the future!!! You see
that by clicking on "forecast" and eventually on the word "month" near the
top of a forecast that pops up. Additionally, when viewing the month, you
have a choice of "view" either being like a calendar or being in list form.
They show somewhat different info, so it's good to look at both. The list
view actually has columns for AMOUNT of rainfall and snowfall predicted
rather than just the nebulous 20% chance of showers etc that I don't find
terribly useful usually.