nafex - Re: [nafex] Does anyone have experience with plantcares.com?

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Does anyone have experience with plantcares.com?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:04:50 -0400

For Canadians, Golden Bough Tree farm in eastern Ontario (mail-order)
http://www.goldenboughtrees.ca

offers seedlings of Bailey and Chui Lum Tao peaches.

The latter as a seedling rootstock was found to produce a hardier and more
productive peach tree than Siberian C, in the Kent-Essex area near Windsor
and Detroit (research at the Harrow station of Agriculture Canada). I
don't know how its seedlings compare as fruiting trees or rootstocks for
apricot.

Bailey has for some decades been the preferred seedling rootstock in the
somewhat more benign climate of the Niagara Peninsula. It is a renamed
traditional Indian peach from the U.S. Middle West, possibly Indiana but
my memory of old Pomonas is a little weak here.

Doug Woodard

Ruth Klatt wrote:
> A couple of decades ago I ordered Siberian "C" peach trees and also a
Montclair peach. The Montclair has the habit of being a double trunk
tree
> and does not usually live long (mine did not either). Apricots can be
grafted to peach, but not peach to apricot rootstocks. These were
ordered
> from Bear Creek Nursery in Washington, which is no longer in business.
Siberian peaches did very well in zone 4a. We were able to order
Siberian