nafex - [nafex] Anticoagulants, Leafy Greens, & Vitamin K

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Anticoagulants, Leafy Greens, & Vitamin K
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:18:52 -0500

For Elizabeth Hilborn:

Your impression of the effects of consumption of leafy greens (and other fruits/vegetables high in vitamin K), seems to be at odds with my understanding of the interaction of this vitamin with anticoagulants such as warfarin. Vitamin K does not enhance these anticoagulant effects, but rather works directly against them, which can elevate the risks of stroke as a result.

That is why people who use blood thinners are advised to avoid excessive consumption of green, leafy vegetables, which would tend to negate the anticoagulant effects of the drugs. The operative factor is high levels of vitamin K, which is particularly high in certain vegetables, but present to some extent in nearly all fruits and vegetables. You might wish to consult your sources of information on this topic before tucking into large spinach salads on a regular basis if you are using blood thinners. I don't know whether Goji berry is high in vitamin K, but if it is, that would also be one to avoid for users of blood thinners.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA