nafex - Re: [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:52:45 +0000

You have the right ideas and concerns. A friend at work gave me some
thornless raspberries, bare-root, about 10 years ago. I put them in the
ground and now they are turning up among the apple root stocks and in the
iris bed. These will be dug up to give to another friend this spring. If you
pot whatever cv. you want and keep 'em reasonably well, you probably won't
get fruit this year, but can have the satisfaction of getting a start on next
year. By then you may be in a more stable situation and can plan for fruit.
(My thornless rasps bear on last year's canes. I cut away all those that
fruited the previous season. Be aware that some varieties bear on current
growth, but I think they are less common.)

Dave Liezen