nafex - Re: [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:13:43 -0800 (PST)

Chris, I routinely dig raspberry shoots and place them in pots to share with
others. They do OK in smaller pots for a couple of years, as long as they
get adequate moisture after transplanting to establish. They will rarely set
any fruit in a pot for me, but keep in mind that these are 1-5 gallon pots,
usually the smaller size.

If I were in your situation, I would use a larger, wide, shallow pot for the
plants, then sink the pot in the ground. Raspberry roots like to move around
a bit, so the wider pots will give room for that. The pots being in the
ground should easily contain the roots from spreading. The roots typically
move laterally, rather then down and remain relatively shallow.

When transplanting from pot to ground for permanent location, just plant the
whole thing (minus the pot) and they will grow well.

I do not grow blackberries, so cannot help there.

John