nafex - [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Container-Grown Bramble Berries
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:47:27 -0500

Hello all,

I am looking for advice on growing blackberries and raspberries. I am
currently in a rental house that I may stay in for just as little as 6
months or as long as a few years, but would like to get started with
growing berries as soon as possible with the goals of fruit production and
propagating new plants. So my questions for you are:

1) Have you had (or heard of) success growing blackberries or raspberries
in containers for a length of a few years and getting decent fruit? Any
variety recommendations for container growing?

2) What about if I were to use the potted plants merely for propagation
stock rather than for fruit production? Would they be robust enough in
pots to give healthy cuttings/layerings?

I am also considering just planting plants in the ground at my rental house
and starting new plants from them to take with me when I leave, but I'm
concerned about brambles getting too weedy once they are no longer
managed. I wouldn't want to leave a messy situation for the
landlord/neighbors/future tenants. Any advice on how to address this
situation?

Thanks a lot,

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, South Carolina