nafex - Re: [nafex] Organic spraying of fruit trees?

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Organic spraying of fruit trees?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:32:28 -0500

On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Deb Schneider wrote:

Also "organic" does NOT mean harmless to amphibians and other
creatures. Lots of organic sprays are deadly to beneficials.

Which is why, in proper organic practices, they're not supposed to be the first resort; but to be used only after trying other techniques, and only in such a way as to do the least possible damage to beneficials.

You're specifically not supposed to just substitute spray X, which is on the OMRI approved or restricted list, for spray Y, which is prohibited for organic use.

I actually took Steve to understand at least part of this, as he was concerned that a spray made from paw paw leaves might be toxic to fish and amphibians.