nafex - [nafex] Titania Black Currant - Self-Fertile?

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Titania Black Currant - Self-Fertile?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:59:36 -0600

I had been under the impression that black currants were not self-fertile, but this description from a U of Minnesota write-up says Titania black currant is self-fertile. Can anyone confirm this?

This would be great for me because I planted quite a few plants and cuttings last spring of Titania and Jonkheer Van Tets (thanks to Sam Brungardt), but the identification tags had been lost so I don't know which is which until they fruit, and I may not have planted them near enough to another black current variety. I guess the Jonkheer Van Tets at least will fruit since they are self-fertile red currants. But, (Titania) being self-fertile should increase yield in any case.

<http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/garden/currantsgooseberries.htm>

*/Titania/*

A very promising cultivar. High yields of large high-quality berries are
borne earlier---within
three years after planting---than other cultivars. Very vigorous, tall
plants are immune to
blister rust and have good resistance to powdery mildew. Self-fertile: no
other variety need be
planted to get good crops from Titania.