nafex - Re: [nafex] Gold Rush in MN

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Gold Rush in MN
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:11:37 -0600

I don't spray at all. I lose a few to the carnivorous bugs but its not significant. No scab at all and no apple maggot yet.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Nave" <nave1@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:06 PM

How much spraying do you have to do?

Dan

On 1/25/2012 1:10 PM, Dave Griffin wrote:
Gold Rush has been unexectedly successful for me in central MN, zone 4a.
Hardiness is not absolute with one tree dead but the other one
surviving -30F two winters of its 6 total years planted. It never really
ripens on the tree - when it has to be picked in November for cold it is
still very green and hard as a rock, but ripens to great flavor in storage.
I've got about 100 seedlings from crosses with 4 earlier and hardier apples
including Zestar and Goodland but won't see any fruit from them for a couple
of more years. Gold Rush is a very clean apple too. So you northerners don't
shy away from trying this one because it's not rated hardy and you can't eat
it off the tree, it's differences from other apples extend to the great
flavor, storage time and other fruit quality too.

Dave

message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites:
http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/
Avant Geared https://plus.google.com/116100117925365792988/about
Texas Plant& Soil Lab (TPSL) 956-383-0739
http://texasplantandsoillab.com Daubeny& Albrecht methods