nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:47:24 -0500

On 12/20/2011 7:34 AM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
I get good pollination and take on mine but other the
course of the year most fall off one by one (or are knocked off by
something) and I end up with 6 or 7 very large lemons.

The plant is very tenacious, especially with regard to fruit drop, I lost only a very few (under 6) early on. The fruit really holds fast to the branching; it takes a lot of work to pick them, two hands for each lemon usually and sometimes requiring breaking the small branches or twisting the fruit off. Regarding flavor, I have eaten tastier ones, sweeter but mine are good. I will try adding rock dusts to the soil mix for remineralization, flavor, fruit keeping qualities and hardiness. This will include azomite, pyrophyllite and granite dusts. The pyrophyllite promotes amazing feeder root growth, ideal for vegetable and herb starts as well as fruit seedlings of all sizes and types.
The best Meyer lemons I have eaten came from a local natural food store and were large but under small orange size, oblong mostly, very thin and smooth skinned. These were on the sweet side. I think they may have come from Mexico. Could they have been grown in volcanic or otherwise highly mineralized soils?

LL