nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:39:35 -0500

On 12/19/2011 5:56 PM, Rosholdt wrote:
Hey, what am I doing wrong with my Meyers Lemon? It won't even bear
more than one or two - and that one in the last post looks impressive!

It is inside now and filled with blooms and huge lemons to pick for many weeks to come. I will take a picture tomorrow & post it.

I bought it from a nursery nearby. It was already bearing a few fruit then. I repotted it, kept it outdoors in warm weather and inside in cold. Actually I left it outside for several winters but covered it with many layers of discarded blankets and tarps. It is a vigorous grower putting out much new branching. I have had no problems with insects or disease.

In the pot with the tree is potting soil, topsoil, seed starting mix, compost, dried chicken manure, granulated seaweed, rock phosphate, greensand, azomite and some black gold from bags of alfalfa meal that got wet and converted in situ to thick, dark, spongy humus.

Try some or all of those amendments and look forward to a tree filled with bent sagging branches dripping with fruit and when in bloom it will fill the air with its sweet fragrance. A week ago I left the shop door open and honeybees came in and foraged in the blooms. If I get one fruit for each bloom I see the branches will need some serious support,
maybe a lightweight bamboo lattice. The bearing branches are amazingly strong and resilient. Tiny twigs can have several large lemons on them.
If one breaks partway it will repair itself and continue to feed the developing fruit.

Good luck.

LL